Time for the October 2017 social media marketing news recap. A ton of news and trends that you wouldn’t want to miss!
Share the Social Media Marketing News Recap – October 2017 Infographic On Your Site
<a href='https://doraseeks.com/social-media-marketing-news-recap-october-2017' target="_blank"> <img src='https://doraseeks.com/social-media-resources-september-2017-infographic.png' alt='Social Media Marketing News Recap October 2017' 540px border='0' /> </a>
Facebook News and Updates – October 2017
Quite a few things happened last month at Facebook.
On October 2, Facebook announced two important things:
- They published a new statement on why and what kinds of information did they share with the U.S. Congress (hint: the Russian Ads issue)
- Related to the above, Facebook as well announced the steps they will be taking to improve enforcement and transparency of Ads on Facebook.
On October 3, Facebook:
- explained how they will be promoting Cyber Security month via the platform. That is one of the reasons you might have been seeing a prompt to run a Security Checkup on your feed.
- announced new third-party integrations for Rights Manager.
On October 5,
- Facebook informed us about a new test to provide context about articles. You can learn more about the new feature that will allow you to access more information about an article and its publisher with a tap of a button below:
- Facebook as well announced how the new Safari Intelligent Tracking Prevention (ITP) will affect cookie tracking in their Developers Blog. To put it shortly, Safari will be deleting facebook.com cookies for people who haven’t visited facebook.com in the last 30 days.
On October 13, Facebook launched a new feature that will allow you to order food for takeout or delivery through Facebook. A quick preview of the new feature can be seen in the video below:
On October 18, Facebook published their recap on the 2017 Mobile @Scale conference which was held in Boston.
On October 19, Facebook announced a new test – adding subscriptions in Instant Articles. The test will roll out for a small group of publishers across U.S. and Europe on Android.
On October 23, Facebook was forced to explain some of their recent tests regarding the Facebook feeds. If you haven’t yet heard about this then you missed the panic that it caused amongst the majority of social media managers. What Facebook tested in a few countries was having separate places/feeds for personal and public content, which made everyone nervous about decreasing reach and being forced to start paying to get the chance to be seen by their Facebook audiences. Nevertheless, based on Facebook’s statement – they will not be planning to move forward with the test and will not be separating the Facebook feeds at the moment.
On October 24,
- Facebook announced that their F8 conference will take place in San Jose, CA on May 1 – 2, 2018.
- Facebook introduced News Feed Publisher Guidelines, which includes “do’s and don’ts” to help publishers succeed on the platform. To access the Publisher Guidelines click here and check out below Facebook’s video on how ranking in News Feeds work:
On October 26,
- Facebook introduced new tools and features for Facebook group member and admins including: welcome posts, badges, member profiles, and new controls and insights.
- They as well announced that in the next few weeks they will be introducing new features for Marketplace car shoppers in the U.S.
On October 27, Facebook issued yet another update on the advertising transparency and authenticity efforts. And this one is quite the update:
Starting next month, people will be able to click “View Ads” on a Page and view ads a Page is running on Facebook, Instagram and Messenger — whether or not the person viewing is in the intended target audience for the ad.
- They are going to require more thorough documentation from advertisers who want to run election-related ads. A preview of this feature can be seen in the video below:
Instagram News and Updates – October 2017
Video by @godyar Over three weeks, 232 toy cars made moves for Khodayar Ahi’s (@godyar) stop-motion remix of our logo. The artist from Tehran, Iran, was inspired by the view and sounds from a high-rise building. Today, we’re celebrating Instagram’s seventh birthday with this #myinstagramlogo from Khodayar. As Instagram evolves and grows, we’re constantly amazed by the creativity of our diverse and inspiring community. Thanks for being you. ❤️
Instagram turned 7 on October 6!
On October 3, Instagram introduced Polls in Stories!
On October 24, Instagram announced a new Live feature – going live with a friend! Check out the video below to find out more:
On October 26, Instagram introduced Superzoom and new Halloween creative tools. You will be able to see “Superzoom” right next to the Boomerang option once you open your Instagram camera.
Twitter News and Updates – October 2017
On October 4, Twitter announced the 2017 winners of #Promote Innovation Challenge.
On October 17, Twitter introduced their Video Website Card which aims to remove friction for the consumer to engage, learn, or convert at their own rate.
On October 19,
#Fuel is a rapid-response hub to help brand partners develop content strategy, activate creative ideas, and optimize content for the feed, all with a focus on enhancing the consumer experience on Twitter.
- They as well published a Calendar for Twitter’s Safety Work plans.
- and on October 20, they published a follow up regarding how Twitter Policy Changes work.
On October 24, Twitter announced new Ads transparency updates the most important of them:
- Similar to Facebook, they will as well be offering visibility into who is advertising on Twitter, details behind those ads, and tools to share feedback via a new Twitter transparency center.
On October 26, Twitter also published an update regarding the “Russian Ads” issue.
Twitter as well published a ton of new awesome articles in their Business blog. My top picks below:
- How to build an editorial calendar that gets results. Afterwards don’t forget to check out my editorial resources!
- The most important media and PR trends for 2018.
- The state of B2B content marketing 2018: Top stats and takeaways.
- Creative roundup: Standout video campaigns from brands on Twitter.
- 3 things to consider when planning your 2018 ad budget.
- And of course Twitter’s Key dates for November 2017:
Pinterest News and Updates – October 2017
On October 4, Pinterest published the findings of a new analysis that shows that for every dollar spent in Pinterest Ads you get $2 in profit.
On October 18, Pinterest announced that their new search solutions are now available through the Pinterest Ads Manager. They as well announced a new autotargeting feature for search.
On October 20, Pinterest announced four new Pinterest webinars – they are free to join, so if you would like to learn more about targeting tools, search ads, Ads Manager features, and campaign optimization make sure to check it out.
On October 24, Pinterest published an article encouraging people to “Share their Pinterest Story” so if you want a chance to be interviewed or featured on their blog make sure to check it out.
LinkedIn News and Updates – October 2017
On October 5, LinkedIn issued their Workforce report for the U.S. for October.
On October 16, LinkedIn announced their new partnership with Huawei. Find out more by watching the video below:
On October 24, LinkedIn announced new Smart Replies in LinkedIn Messaging. To see how they work check out the video below:
Snapchat News and Updates – October 2017
On October 10, Snapchat introduced context cards. Powered by Snapchat’s partners like TripAdvisor, Foursquare, Michelin, and goop, Context Cards will display information about the Snap you’re viewing. To see how they work check out the video below:
Something interesting from Snapchat was as well their guide on how to Optimize Snap Ad Creative Effectiveness. If you are a Snapvertizer, make sure you check it out.
YouTube News and Updates – October 2017
On October 11, YouTube announced a new YouTube creators site – a new place to keep up with the latest news, creator events, and platform updates from YouTube.
Useful Resources For Marketers
- 2018 Marketing Campaign & Content Planning Template
- 2018 KPI tracking Spreadsheet
- The 2017 Annual Social Media Content Calendar Spreadsheet
- Daily Social Media Post planning Spreadsheet – Old Version
- Daily Social Media Posting plan Spreadsheet – New & Improved Version
- The Complete Social Media Profile Creation Checklist (Downloadable)
- Instagram Post Performance Tracking Template (coming soon)
- Blog Content Calendar Planning Template (coming soon)
- Blog Post SEO Checklist (coming soon)
- Productivity: Weekly Tasks Template (coming soon)
If you would like to stay tuned for the upcoming social media marketing news and resources, make sure you subscribe to my monthly newsletter.
And don’t forget to check out the Social Media Marketing News & Resources September 2017 and the Top Social Media Marketing News Recap – November 2017.
Thank you for reading!