Hello friends! Once again it is time for the monthly social media marketing news recap. Please scroll below to check out the top Social Media news recap from November 2017.
Facebook News and Updates – November 2017
Here are the top Facebook News & Updates from November 2017:
On November 1, Facebook issued their third quarter 2017 financial results. Top highlights you might find interesting:
- Daily Active Users on Facebook were 1.37 billion on average for September 2017, an increase of 16% year-over-year.
- Monthly Active Users on Facebook were 2.07 billion as of September 30, 2017, an increase of 16% year-over-year.
- Mobile advertising revenue – Mobile advertising revenue represented approximately 88% of advertising revenue for the third quarter of 2017, up from approximately 84% of advertising revenue in the third quarter of 2016.
On November 1, Facebook announced that they are making efforts to make blood donations easier with the social media platform.
On November 6, Facebook introduced a “Monetization Tab” for Instant Articles. Facebook is now enabling publishers who currently use Facebook’s Audience Network to easily turn recirculation ads on or off in the new monetization tab.
On November 7, Facebook expanded peer-to-peer payments via Messanger to people in the UK and France. With this feature, which will roll out in the next feel weeks to all UK and France-based Messanger users, people will be able to send money to others in their country.
On November 9, Facebook introduced Facebook Community Boost. Facebook Community Boost is a new program that will visit 30 US cities in 2018 to help US small businesses grow and equip more people with the digital skills they need to grow their business with Facebook.
On November 15, Facebook introduced Highlighted Shares to Video Insights for Pages. A new feature that will be giving publishers and creators more information about the top Pages that are re-sharing their videos.
On November 16, Facebook issued an awesome study on how the global conversation via messages has evolved.
On November 16, Facebook announced new tools for creators:
- Facebook Creator App;
- A New Website for Creators;
On November 16, Facebook began to test displaying new publisher Trust Indicators. A small group of publishers will now be able to upload links to additional information through their Brand Asset Library under their Page Publishing Tools — including information on their ethics policy, corrections policy, fact-checking policy, ownership structure, and masthead.
On November 16, Facebook introduced new Discovery Tools for the Auto Industry.
On November 20, Facebook made an announcement in their Engineering blog that they will be “collaborating with Airbus to advance spectrum and aviation policy and continue to demonstrate the viability of HAPS systems for providing broadband connectivity.”
On November 21, Facebook announced that people can now send and receive photos in Messenger at 4K resolution — or up to 4,096 x 4,096 pixels per image.
On November 22, Facebook announced that in London on February 8 and 9, 2018 they will be hosting the first Facebook Communities Summit Europe.
On November 22, Facebook announced that they will soon be creating a portal to enable people on Facebook to learn which of the Internet Research Agency Facebook Pages or Instagram accounts they may have liked or followed between January 2015 and August 2017. This tool will be available for use by the end of the year in the Facebook Help Center.
On November 27, Facebook shared the advertising principles that guide their decision making when it comes to advertising across Facebook, Messenger and Instagram.
On November 27, Facebook announced new efforts they are making to help prevent suicide.
On November 28, Facebook shared the efforts they are making to help prevent terrorism.
On November 29 at the second annual Social Good Forum, Facebook announced new tools and initiatives to help people keep each other safe and supported on Facebook.
Instagram News and Updates – November 2017
On November 7, Instagram expanded their access to the Branded Content Tool. Now Instagrammers with high levels of engagement and access to insights will also have access to the Branded Content Tool.
Twitter News and Updates – November 2017
On November 3, Twitter published a new version of the Twitter Rules.
On November 7, Twitter shared some data on usage of the new 280 character limit.
On November 7, Twitter announced their #HolidayIsHappening: Holiday Insights Campaign in collaboration with Brandwatch and Cheddar. Throughout November and December this new campaign will keep holiday enthusiasts up to date on what’s hot and what’s not this season.
On November 8, Twitter introduced a public beta version of Promote Mode, Twitter’s first subscription ads product. For a flat fee of $99 per month Promote Mode will automatically promote your Tweets and profile.
On November 13, Twitter introduced the Twitter Assistant, from Twitter Official Partner Union Metrics. Anyone can run the Twitter Assistant to get personalized recommendations on how to craft better Tweets.
On November 28, Twitter shared their December calendar with key days for Twitter marketers:
Pinterest News and Updates – November 2017
On November 3, Pinterest introduced Workshop: A creative studio and social club at Pinterest HQ, fully equipped with professional equipment, art supplies and more for bringing Pinterest ideas to life.
On November 9, Pinterest launched board sections—a new way to organize Pins on Pinterest. Now you can save all your favorite ideas to a single board, organize them into sections and easily find them when you’re ready to try them.
LinkedIn News and Updates – November 2017
On November 3, LinkedIn published their November 2017 Workforce report for the United States.
On November 8, LinkedIn launched Resume Assistant – bringing the power of LinkedIn into Microsoft Word. Resume Assistant will be rolling out to Microsoft Insiders on Windows and will be generally available to Office 365 subscribers in the coming months.
On November 13, LinkedIn updated their Transparency Report to include government requests for member data from the first half of 2017.
On November 15, LinkedIn launched Career Advice, a new feature that helps connect members across the LinkedIn network with one another for lightweight mentorship opportunities.
Snapchat News and Updates – November 2017
On November 7, Snap Inc. published their Third Quarter 2017 Results Report. Highlights that you may find interesting:
- Daily active users – grew from 153 million in Q3 2016 to 178 million in Q3 2017, an increase of 25.2 million or 17% year-over-year. DAUs increased 4.5 million or 3% quarter-over-quarter, from 173 million in Q2 2017.
- Average revenue per user– was $1.17 in Q3 2017, an increase of 39% over Q3 2016 when ARPU was $0.84. ARPU increased 12% over Q2 2017 when ARPU was $1.05.
New features and improvements to Ad Manager include:
- More than just Snap Ads: Audience Filters are now available to businesses of all sizes;
- Better buying workflows: new objective-focused guides that will help create more successful campaigns;
- Centralized tools: the Business Manager, Snap Publisher, and Ad Manager are now all in one place;
- Increased speed to launch: create ads faster than ever before;
In November, Snapchat introduced Context Cards for advertisers. Now when an advertiser adds a Context Card to their Lens or Filter, Snapchatters who view it in a Snap can swipe up to view a card that links to the the advertiser’s website of choice. Context Cards for advertisers are only available in the US for now.
In November, Snapchat introduced performance marketing with Snap Pixel. Now, with the Snap Pixel, advertisers can track their customers’ journey from start to finish, regardless of what device they’re on.
In November, Snapchat introduced Promoted Stories, their newest ad format.
On November 29, Snapchat introduced “the new Snapchat”:
YouTube News and Updates – November 2017
On November 14, YouTube announced their first ticketing partnership with Ticketmaster. They will begin featuring artist’s upcoming U.S. tour dates on their YouTube videos.
On November 29, YouTube announced that they are starting to expand Community to creators with over 10,000 subscribers. Community is a new place to connect with fans in-between uploads with polls, pictures, text, GIFs, and more.
Useful Resources For Marketers
- 2018 Marketing Campaign & Content Planning Template
- 2018 KPI tracking Spreadsheet
- The 2017 Annual Social Media Content Calendar Spreadsheet
- Daily Social Media Post planning Spreadsheet – Old Version
- Daily Social Media Posting plan Spreadsheet – New & Improved Version
- The Complete Social Media Profile Creation Checklist (Downloadable)
- Instagram Post Performance Tracking Template (coming soon)
- Blog Content Calendar Planning Template (coming soon)
- Blog Post SEO Checklist (coming soon)
- Productivity: Weekly Tasks Template (coming soon)
If you would like to stay tuned for the upcoming social media marketing news and resources, make sure you subscribe to my monthly newsletter.
And don’t forget to check out the:
- Social Media Marketing News Recap – October 2017
- Social Media Marketing News & Resources – September 2017
- Top Digital Marketing News And Resources – August 2017
Thank you for reading!