Find out what were the top Social Media Marketing News – February 2017 recap.
Summary Social Media Marketing News February 2017
A list of the most important social media updates this month (scroll down for more):
- Issued their annual financial report; Feb 1
- Ad Policy Updates; Feb 8
- Updated the Video Ads Objectives; Feb 10
- New Facebook Video Features; Feb 14
- Introduced new 360 Audio Technology; Feb 22
- Video Monetization Updates; Feb 23
- Updates on Safety; Feb 7
- Periscope Live now in Top Trends; Feb 14
- Personalized Customer Experience in DM; Feb 22
- Introduced Instagram Albums; Feb 22
- New feature – Creating Snap Codes for Websites; Feb 8
- Spectacles now available for purchase; Feb 20
- Mobile Live Streaming Rolling Out; Feb 7
- Issued LinkedIn Workforce Report; Feb 3
- LinkedIn Content – New Features; Feb 8
- LinkedIn Premium – New Features; Feb 9
- Introduced Visual Discovery Tools; Feb 7;
- Introduced a Native Video Player; Feb 15;
- Promoted Pins now in Ireland, Australian and New Zealand; Feb 21
Share this Infographic on Your Site
Please include attribution to https://doraseeks.com/ with this graphic.
**Scroll below for details on the Social Media Marketing News for February 2017**
Facebook Updates February 2017
Issued Annual Report for 2016
On February 1st, Facebook issued their quarterly and annual financial report.
Main highlights from Facebook’s Annual report:
- The Facebook net income increased with 177% from 2015 to 2016, reaching $10,217 million dollars;
- While the total revenue increased with 54% from 2015 to 2016, the total costs and expenses increased only with 30%;
- The monthly active users in December 2016 were 1.86 billion people, which is a 17% increase compared to December 2015;
- The monthly active users on mobile devices were 1.74% in December 2016, which is a 21% increase compared to December 2015;
- In the forth quarter of 2016, mobile advertising represented 84% of the total advertising revenue;
Global Developer Conference
On February 7th, Facebook announced that the registration for their annual Global Developer Conference is open.
Improving Community Help on Facebook
On February 8, Facebook announced updates on the community help/safety check features.
Facebook Ads Policy Updates – Enforcing Diversity
Last month Facebook made it clear that they care about diversity and will implement efforts to enforce and improve diversity with their ad policies. On February 8, Facebook announced the efforts they are making:
- Updated the Facebook advertising policy;
- The included a new section in the advertising policy, aiming to educate and inform advertisers what are the new guidelines;
- They are beginning to test new technology that will help identify ads that do not meet the new policies;
CrowdTangle Partners With Reddit
Video Ads Objectives Updates
On February 10th, Facebook announced that they will be improving the video ads objectives in the following aspects:
- “completed-view” buying advertisers will pay only for completed views, if the video ad duration is shorter than 10 seconds;
- “two-second buying” will pay only if at least 50% of the advertisers pixels were in-view for at least 2 continuous seconds or longer;
- “sound on buying” – advertisers will have the opportunity to buy “sound on” videos ads;
Introduced New Facebook Video Features
On February 14th, Facebook announced the following new video post features:
- Videos will now start playing in the newsfeed with sound turned on automatically;
- Vertical videos will expand easily to full screen on mobile devices;
- There is a new progress bar with a thumbnail preview, just like on YouTube;
- Similar to the YouTube app, you will be able to continue watching a video, while scrolling through other content;
- Video will keep playing even outside of your Facebook app;
9 Tips For Better 360 Videos
On February 16th, Facebook published 9 tips for publishing better 360 videos, based on insights from one year of 360 videos on Facebook.
Messenger Platform Policies Update
On February 17th, in Facebook’s Developers blog were announced changes in the Messenger platform policies and an update on the review times.
New 360 Audio Technology
On February 22nd, in Facebook’s engineering blog was published an article explaining the technology behind 360 video and it’s implementation.
Video Monetization Updates
On February 23rd, Facebook announced the following new ways for publishers to advertise their video content with Facebook ads:
- In-stream video ads are now available for all publishers;
- Ad Breaks during Facebook Live Video – this feature is expanding to more Facebook publishers and pages in the U.S;
- Began testing Ad Breaks in in-demand videos;
Twitter Updates February 2017
Update on Safety
On February 7th, Twitter published an update on Safety. Three changes were announced:
- New steps to identify the creation of abusive accounts;
- Introducing safer search;
- Identifying and collapsing potentially abusive and low-quality Tweets;
Periscope Live Now In Top Trends
On February 14th, Twitter announced that Periscope live videos will be showing up in top trends as trending content.
Watch what’s trending – LIVE! You’ll now see Periscopes surfaced in top trends. pic.twitter.com/Bhj8JT2ITw
— Twitter Video (@TwitterVideo) February 14, 2017
Personalized Customer Experience in DM
On February 22nd, Twitter announced a new feature in DM, called custom profiles. The new feature will allow businesses to emphasize the human element in DM and indicate when a bot is speaking.
Instagram Updates February 2017
Introducing Instagram Albums
On February 22nd, Instagram launched Instagram Album posts. Users are now able to post up to 10 photos and videos in one post.
Surprise! 🎉 Swipe left on the post above to see more. Starting today, you can share up to 10 photos and videos in one post on Instagram. With this update, you no longer have to choose the single best photo or video from an experience you want to remember. When uploading to your feed, you’ll see a new icon to select multiple photos and videos. It’s easy to control exactly how your post will look. You can tap and hold to change the order, apply a filter to everything at once or edit one by one. These posts have a single caption and are square-only for now. On a profile grid, you’ll notice the first photo or video of a post has a little icon, which means there’s more to see. And in feed, you’ll see blue dots at the bottom of these posts to let you know you can swipe to see more. You can like and comment on them just like a regular post. This update is available as part of Instagram version 10.9 for iOS in the Apple App Store and for Android on Google Play. To learn more, check out help.instagram.com.
On February 24th, Instagram announced that they have moved their business blog to https://business.instagram.com/blog/.
Snapchat Updates February 2017
Creating Snap Codes For A Website
On February 8th it was reported that with the new Snapchat update, it is now possible to create a snap-able code for any website. Once someone scans it, it will open the website.
— CASiE STEWART (@casiestewart) February 8, 2017
Spectacles Now Available for Purchase
On February 20th, Snapchat announced that Spectacles are now available for purchase in the U.S.
Specs are now available in the U.S. at https://t.co/VrsiEv2fPY!!
— Snapchat (@Snapchat) February 20, 2017
YouTube Updates February 2017
Mobile Live streaming
On February 7th, YouTube announced that they are rolling out mobile live streaming to every YouTube creator with more than 10,000 subscribers!
LinkedIn Updates February 2017
Using The New LinkedIn Design
On February 1st, LinkedIn started publishing videos aiming to show and educate LinkedIn users how to use the new design of the social network.
LinkedIn Workforce Report
On February 3rd, LinkedIn published their LinkedIn Workforce report for the first time. This will be a monthly issue, aiming to help guide you during a job hunt. The report is available for the U.S. market only.
LinkedIn Content – New Features
On February 8th, LinkedIn announced new features, related to the LinkedIn articles’ comment management. The new features include:
- Comments setting: LinkedIn publishers will have the option to disable or enable comments on their articles;
- Comments reporting: Inappropriate comments can now be reported;
LinkedIn Premium – New Features
On February 9th, LinkedIn announced new features in their Premium accounts.
The new features for the LinkedIn Premium Career members include personalized insights in LinkedIn Jobs. For example, it will show you jobs you are a top applicant for, companies that are growing quickly for professions like yours, and more.
The new Premium Business Insights feature will offer unique and timely data directly on the Company Pages of the organizations you are interested in and more.
Pinterest Updates February 2017
Introducing Visual Discovery
On February 7th, Pinterest introduced exciting visual discovery tools. Check out the video below to get the idea of how it works:
What the new visual discovery tools let you do:
- Pinterest Lens will let you use your camera to get inspiration and discover similar things to what you see real life;
- Instant Ideas will let you instantly discover related pins with a single click;
- Shop the Look allows you to track down and buy products you see in a fashion or home decor Pin;
Native Video Player
On February 15th, in Pinterest’s Engineering blog was announced a new native video player in Pinterest. Up till now people could only pin videos, but with the development of this native video player, uploading videos directly on Pinterest will be possible.
New Open Source Tools
On February 15th, in Pinterest’s Engineering blog were announced some new open source tools. If you are a Pinterest engineer check them out here.
Automated Human Evaluation
On February 16th, in Pinterest’s Engineering blog was published the science behind the automated human evaluation for Trending searches. Pinterest also shared their plans to make Trending searches even more personalized and timely in the feature.
Promoted Pins Expanding
On February 21st, Pinterest announced that promoted Pins are expanding to Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand.
Feeling well informed? Don’t forget to also check out:
- Social Media Marketing News January 2017 Recap
- Social Media Marketing News December 2016 Recap
- Social Media Marketing News November 2016 Recap
and stay tuned for next month’s entry by following the social media channels of DoraSeeks or by subscribing!